There are multiple landmarks located here in the city of Saint Paul, Minnesota, and in this article, we shall be listing some of these landmarks as well as giving a quick description on each of them. Now, without any more interruptions, let us begin.
3M Administration Building. Moderne, headquarters of 3M from 1940 to 1962, reflecting the corporation’s success through research, product development, and diversification.
Arlington Hills Library. 1916 Carnegie library, one of three in Saint Paul and one of the last built in the U.S. Also noted as an early project of city architect Charles A. Hausler and an important Beaux-Arts neighborhood landmark. Now the East Side Freedom Library.
Pioneer and Endicott Buildings. Architecturally significant office buildings connected in 1941. Cass Gilbert designed the L-shaped Renaissance Revival Endicott Building in the 1890s to wrap around the 1889 Romanesque Revival Pioneer Building designed by Solon Spencer Beman.
Pilgrim Baptist Church. 1928 church associated with the spiritual, social, and political life of African Americans in the Twin Cities, and with the Reverend L.W. Harris, the congregation’s politically active leader from 1922 to 1941.
Rau/Strong House. Finely crafted “urban estate” built 1884–86, with an eclectic Italianate/Second Empire/Eastlake Movement house and accompanying carriage barn, representative of Saint Paul’s late-19th-century middle class residences.
St. Matthew’s School. 1902 school building, one of Saint Paul’s oldest, significant for its ornate Second Empire design by John F. Fischer and for providing parochial education to a neighborhood of mostly German Catholic immigrants.
St. Paul Cathedral-Catholic. Monumental Beaux-Arts cathedral—called “one of the nation’s grandest religious edifices” in its NRHP nomination—designed by Emmanuel Louis Masqueray. Principally built 1906–1915 but with interiors not completed by successors until 1953.
St. Paul Women’s City Club. 1931 women’s club headquarters notable for its early and exemplary use of Moderne architecture in Saint Paul.
Sam S. Shubert Theatre and Shubert Building. 1910 Beaux-Arts Shubert Brothers theatre—important in Saint Paul’s early fine theatre scene—and adjacent commercial building designed by Buechner & Orth. Now known as the Fitzgerald Theatre and Fitzgerald Condominiums.
Jacob Schmidt Brewing Company Historic District. Complex of the Jacob Schmidt Brewing Company, one of Minnesota’s leading breweries, with nine contributing properties built 1858–1950s further noted for their Romanesque Revival architecture by Barnard Barthel and Walter W. Magee, plus four residences and potential historical archaeology resources.
Charles Thompson Memorial Hall. 1916 Classical Revival meeting hall designed by deaf architect Olof Hanson as the nation’s first clubhouse built for a deaf community. A hub of social and advocacy activity credited with helping foster Minnesota as a preferred location among deaf people.
West Summit Avenue Historic District. 42-block boulevard notable for its urban planning and assorted Period Revival architecture. A western continuation of the Historic Hill District, with 232 contributing properties built between 1885 and 1938.
Woodland Park District. Middle-class residential neighborhood exhibiting 12 distinct architectural styles popular in Minnesota between 1880 and 1910. Consists of 62 single- and multi-family residences and one church.
First National Bank of White Bear. 1921 Neoclassical bank with an atypical Spanish tile eave; White Bear Lake’s most sophisticated early commercial building and a key financial institution in its growth from a resort town to an established city.