In this article we shall talk about the various landmarks within the vicinity of the city of Lakeville, Minnesota. Unfortunately, it appears that there are no historical or natural landmarks within the city, and thus we shall have to make do with landmarks within the Twin Cities metropolis, which Lakeville is a part of, more specifically, the nearest landmarks to the city. Now, without further ado, let me begin explaining to you the various landmarks closest to the city of Lakeville, Minnesota.
The Garlick-Magney House is a uniquely urban example of the English Medieval Cottage style of architecture. Constructed in 1922, the two-story residence is an excellent example of how architectural images from the past were extensively employed during the 1920s and 1930s in Minneapolis. A set of garden walls delineating the property boundaries, the steeply pitched cross gable roof, low massing, casement windows, and whitewashed clinker brick are all characteristic of the Cottage style. During the planning and construction of the house, architect Gottileb Magney and Gertrude Garlick met. They married in 1924 and their family stayed in the home until 1983.
The Washburn Park Water Tower was the cooperative venture of three individually distinguished men in their respective fields. Harry Wild Jones, the architect, was responsible for several other notable structures including the Butler Square Building and the Lakewood Cemetery Chapel. The water tower sculptures were designed by John K. Daniels, a well-known local artisan, who also designed the milling figures on the Washburn Flour Mills Utility Building. The consulting engineer, William S. Hewitt, was the inventor of the Hewitt System of reinforced concrete construction. The Washburn Tower suggests a strong medieval feeling; its cylindrical dome is like a Roman warrior’s helmet. Eight hooded knights surround the tower in perpetual vigilance while, overhead, eight eagles stand, as if pausing in flight, atop the evenly spaced pilasters. The 110-foot structure held 1.35 million gallons of water and provided water pressure to the surrounding neighborhood until the 1990’s. The water tower remains an excellent example of the use of artistic design features in a public works facility.
When the Harrington Beard house was built in 1888 at Nicollet Avenue and 50th Street near Washburn Park, the area was advertised as an oasis “where men of business can get away from the noise of the city and the inconvenience of small lots and crowded neighborhoods.” The Beard residence, affectionately named “Sunnyside,” marks one of the earliest additions to the neighborhood, only preceded by The Washburn Memorial Orphan Home (1886) and the Harry Wild Jones house (1887). Harrington commissioned Jones, a prominent local architect responsible for the Butler Brothers Warehouse (1906), the Lakewood Cemetery Chapel (1910) and the Washburn Water Tower (1932), to capture the feel of the 1890s, but integrate modern day conveniences into the decorating scheme. The entry hall, library, and dining room all have cherrywood trim throughout, including a built-in china cupboard in the dining room and the fireplace mantel in the library. The original exterior was executed in shingle and clapboard, but has now been stuccoed to the first-story level. The house was designed for the Harrington Beard family who opened the first art gallery, bringing in collections from London, New York, Boston and Chicago to Minneapolis. The Harrington Beard house is a significant historic landmark because of its association with the men who left a lasting legacy on the importance of art in Minneapolis.
“Elmwood” is significant as the residence of one of Minneapolis’ most noteworthy architects whose career spanned nearly fifty years. Harry Wild Jones demonstrated expertise in a wide variety of architectural styles, but chose a shingle-styled Norman chateau for his home. When the home was built in 1887 it was among the first in the Washburn Park Neighborhood and undoubtedly set the design tone for the area. Along with Jones’ impressive architectural accomplishments, such as the Butler Brothers Warehouse (1906) and the Lakewood Cemetery Chapel (1910), he was a professor of architecture at the University of Minnesota, president of the Minnesota Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, and the director of the State Art Society.
Major Roadways and Highways in Lakeville, MN